Monday, November 10, 2008

THE FACE OF RACEism


xenophobia: an intense dislike and/or fear of people from other countries or of people significantly different from oneself

We know what racism looks like, right? Images of the Ku Klux Klan dressed in flowing white with their pointed hats that stand so high; eye holes cut out to reveal the darkness of their souls. Flash to the scene of a burning cross on a family's front yard or a noose hanging loosely from a tree. But those are just a few of the things we consider racism to be, when in reality those are only things that represent what racists believe. So, why is it that I've never considered me? I refuse to look in the mirror because of the fear I too will be found guilty.

Not long ago I walked out of work to get in my car and head home when I happened to see a roofing nail embedded in my tire's tread. Thankfully, the wheel was at an angle where it was visible. I contemplated changing the tire there but decided against it seeing as I was in my perfectly pressed pants. It was getting late, but I figured I could find a shop open of some kind. I drove down the streets hoping that I wouldn't have to go very far with a puncture hole in my tire. There was a station open and I slowed down, but decided to drive right on past. The sign read, 'Le' something, and because it was on the north side of town it wasn't a far stretch to guess that it was owned and operated by Hispanics. I tried to rationalize that I probably would have trouble communicating with them, and so I simply drove on to Wal-Mart where I was certain that wouldn't be a problem. Still, I couldn't shake the guilt of feeling as though there was something much more sinister in my heart; something that threatened to tear it apart. Keep in mind there is no small sin, because we die in the end.

18 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing. 19 And you are to love those who are aliens, for you yourselves were aliens in Egypt.
-Deuteronomy 10

How quickly we forget. God reminded his people that there was a time when they too had experienced racism. Hitler's Nazi Germany was not the first time in history that the Jews had been oppressed. I love the Lord's command to love those who lived among them because of the favor and grace he had shown when they lived in the Land of the Pyramids.

But do those words from the Old Testament apply to us today? Yes! Not only would racist words never have passed through Christ's lips, He never would have entertained the thoughts in His mind. As one of our pastors recently reminded us, Paul charged us as Christians to take every thought 'captive'. Just as a child born into wealth knows not what it is to be poor, so Americans born into freedom know not what it is to be oppressed. Those in the majority can sympathize with those in the minority. In fact, I believe it is our calling as Christians to do so; not only our calling but His command. After all it is He who said that He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien.

My trip to Honduras was the first time that I've ever been out of the country, one of the first times that I've ever flown, and the first time that being white didn't quite feel right. It wasn't apparent at first. After all, I was in a group of Americans and it was as though I projected the subconsious security of my citizenship. Yet there came a time where I became keenly aware that I was not like the Hondurans. My skin color, my language, and my way of life was in stark contrast to theirs. Here I was living albeit for short time among them, I was somehow out of place—the gringo. It was like a slit of light in the night, giving me a glimpse into what it must be like.

I've prided myself (perhaps that's the problem) on being color blind; and think that I am most of the time. But am I really so blind to think that I am above the same sin that others are caught up in? Who are we to think that we are of such a great gender, denomination, or even race? We are called to embrace those God has created; not merely tolerate them. The antonym of racism is not tolerance. God expects more than minimum obedience. With Him it is all or nothing; everything not something. So love as He has loved you, or don't expect His love at all.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

That said and read, his words are still being fought for today. We will soon begin our first four years under the leadership of America's first black president. While we may or may not agree with President-Elect Barack Obama's policies and politics, we as Christians can come alongside and celebrate the further fulfillment of Dr. King's dream. But we must remember that this was not a vision unique to Dr. King. God was and always will be the first to defend those who are oppressed and in need. So, I urge you to look in the mirror and see what signs of racism, if any, there may be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jared,
You never cease to entertain and amaze me. Reading your blogs always remind me that I have not yet become the person that I want to be. You keep writing and I will keep striving......I don't think it would be possible for me to love or admire you any more than I do at this very minute.
Tia,
Betty