Sunday, November 25, 2007

Do It Afraid


There is a saying among the girls of Mercy Ministries, a wonderful home for young women working through life issues. They tell each other to, ‘Do it afraid!’ I love that! For me, my faith is rarely without fear. But I like to believe that faith isn’t the absence of fear, it is the perseverance and pursuit of what God is calling us to in spite of it. So often I feel as if I’m going out on a limb, and I have to be reminded that I’m really stepping out on the Rock.

The book of Nehemiah is the story of a single-minded man on a mission. Nehemiah is heart-broken that the city of his fathers, Jerusalem , is in ruins. As Bill Hybels writes, he ‘just couldn’t stand it anymore’. He had to do something; be part of the solution. Nehemiah served as cupbearer to the king. It was a prominent position, and an easy job. However, he knew that God was calling him to rebuild Jerusalem , and he didn’t know how to tell the king. I love Nehemiah’s honesty; he doesn’t hide his fear:

“I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, "May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my fathers are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?" Nehemiah 2:2b-3

Now, had I written the story, it would have read much differently. I would have changed it to say that “I boldly went before the king…” But that wasn’t reality. Thankfully, Nehemiah wrote the truth. He stepped out in faith with “with the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen.” Hebrews 11:1 There is no guarantee in this life; just a God who loves us and promises to never leave. Nehemiah couldn’t have known what the king would say or how he would react. He simply acted on what God had called him to do; he did it afraid! And God blessed him for it. Not only did the king send Nehemiah with his blessing, he also sent army officers and the cavalry with him for protection. Nehemiah writes that the ‘hand of my God was upon me’.

In the end, Nehemiah and the Jews rebuilt the wall within 52 days. There were those who tried to discourage him; who said that it couldn’t be done:

“They were all trying to frighten us, thinking, "Their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed." But I prayed, "Now strengthen my hands.” Nehemiah 6:9

Now strengthen my hands… What a great prayer in the face of discouragement! What is God calling you to do? Are you afraid? That’s okay! I encourage you to do it anyway. This life is not easy, but rest assured that there is a reward waiting for us in the end. So for now, just do it afraid, step out in faith; live the life that God is calling you to. Do what he is asking of you. Not everyone will understand or support you, but God will bless you. And the world will know that He is great:

“When all our enemies heard about this, all the surrounding nations were afraid and lost their self-confidence, because they realized that this work had been done with the help of our God.” Nehemiah 6:16

1 comment:

Woman of Faith said...

It's kind of ironic on this one. I am actually reading a book that emphasizes doing it afraid. So in my dreams and destiny I'm doing just that. Even though I don't know where God is going to take me with it. I do so knowing he placed that dream in my heart for a reason. He's given me the ability and talents I need to accomplish it. Fear also robs us of our destiny. so many people are so fearful they don't want to step out of their comfort zone to do something new for fear. so many don't reach their destiny because of that.